Are you tired of putting up with side effects from depression and anxiety medications? Or are you looking for alternative ways to heal? Then you might want to explore acupuncture.
Anxiety and depression are the two most common mood disorders, and about one-third of patients do not respond to traditional interventions, such as medication and psychotherapy. As a result, many people seek alternative ways of treating their mood disorders, including practices from Eastern medicine. At Alleviant Little Rock, we offer acupuncture for depression and anxiety to our clients searching for relief. To learn more about our anxiety treatment at Alleviant Little Rock, contact us at 501.904.4762.
What Is Acupuncture?
In the Eastern worldview, symptoms like depression and anxiety are warning bells—indicators that something bigger is happening in the body. The source of life energy, known as “qi” in traditional Chinese medicine, is off balance, leading to disease, which can manifest in depression and anxiety. Acupuncture is not a cure-all, but when it’s part of an integrative approach to making the entire body well, it can help alleviate the symptoms of depression and anxiety.
During acupuncture for depression and anxiety, a certified practitioner inserts thread-like needles into specific nerve points throughout the body. Each needle sticks and stimulates a sensory nerve, which kicks them into communication with the brain. The brain then triggers a response from the immune system and the release of endorphins, the body’s natural painkillers, to travel throughout the body and bring healing.
Most acupuncture sessions last about 30 minutes. After the needles are placed around the body, the practitioner will move them by hand or stimulate them with electrical currents to promote neurochemical activity in the body. One of our certified practitioners knows the acupressure points for anxiety and depression, and when working with our team, they’ll help to work with you and help alleviate your symptoms.
Seven Reasons to Try Acupuncture for Depression and Anxiety
There are many benefits to this ancient practice, including potential relief from depression and anxiety. Here are seven reasons to try acupuncture if you want comfort from anxiety and depression.
- It works – Through a meta-analysis of various research studies on acupuncture and depression, acupuncture can significantly reduce the severity of depression.
- It’s an alternative to toxic medications – Acupuncture has virtually no adverse side effects. When used as a part of a holistic approach to treating depression, it can help you heal depression naturally.
- It releases endorphins – Endorphins are a hormone that acts as a natural pain killer in the body. When needles are inserted into sensory nerves just below the skin’s surface, the body stimulates a response in the immune system, which increases circulation to that area of the body and triggers the release of endorphins.
- It’s a good option for pregnant women – If you’re expecting a child, you might want to reduce or eliminate your intake of medications to prevent adverse side effects for the child.
- It can reduce inflammation – Since the needles act as tiny wounds throughout the body, acupuncture prompts an anti-inflammatory response from the immune system as it combats small invasions. There is increasing evidence that chronic inflammation keeps you depressed.
- It is relaxing – Most patients find their acupuncture visits extremely therapeutic, and some even fall asleep during the session.
- It gives you much more than a mood boost – Because acupuncture aims to make the body well, not treat specific symptoms, you’ll benefit from an overall increase in health. Acupuncture is an effective treatment for migraine and tension headaches and to help treat allergies and infertility.
More Reasons to Choose Acupuncture for Anxiety
For people struggling with anxiety, acupuncture can be a game-changer. In one study, researchers found that just eight weeks of acupuncture treatments significantly reduced symptoms of a generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). Acupuncture can help relieve anxiety symptoms by:
- Reducing stress hormones like cortisol
- Increasing levels of serotonin, the happy hormone
- Regulating the autonomic nervous system
- Calming the mind and promoting relaxation
Acupuncture has become an excellent alternative for people dealing with anxiety and depression. It has been used for centuries as a traditional Chinese medicine to treat various ailments. If you’re looking for a natural way to seek relief, give us a call today to schedule an appointment.
Find Out More About Acupuncture for Depression at Alleviant Little Rock
If you try acupuncture, find an experienced, certified acupuncturist who knows how to treat anxiety and depression. Keep in mind that acupuncture is most effective for depression and anxiety over the course of several weeks of treatment. And make sure to ask your provider how many sessions they recommend for optimal healing. In addition to acupuncture, Alleviant Little Rock offers many beneficial options to treat depression and anxiety. Reach out to us to learn more about our anxiety treatment options. To get more information and resources, call us at 501.904.4762.