You’ve probably heard about the human brain being compared to a computer—they’re both complex machines that run on electricity.
Is this a good analogy? Yes and no.
Your brain does indeed run on electricity. It processes information, stores memories, and carries out commands, similar to your phone or laptop. But that’s where the similarities end.
Here’s the deal: a computer operates on hardware, designed and built by an engineer for a pre-determined set of functions. It’s made of chips and wires that are set in place.
Our brains, though, are living and dynamic. It can be rearranged. In fact, new wires can be created. This is true for anyone, in any phase of life, no matter your age. The key to understanding and harnessing this power is knowing how to master your mindset.
If you want professional help adjusting your mindset, Alleviant can help. Call us today at 501.904.4762 to learn about how our integrative psychiatry can help you.
What Is Your Mindset?
Your mindset is a collection of thought patterns and beliefs that shape your view of reality. It’s a story that you tell yourself about your identity and about the world around you.
Healthy mindsets are flexible. Qualities of a healthy mindset include:
- Allowing you to see the world as it is, not as you wish it would be.
- Giving you the ability to face challenges and setbacks with resilience.
- Helping you learn from your mistakes and grow from your experiences.
Unhealthy mindsets, on the other hand:
- Limit your ability to see possibilities and opportunities.
- Make you see challenges and setbacks as insurmountable obstacles.
- Prone you to give up easily or feel like a victim of your circumstances.
How Your Mindset Affects Your Health
Healthy mindsets, or unhealthy mindsets, can have a profound effect on your physical health as well as your mental and emotional well-being. We implore you to ask these questions:
- Does your mindset support you and your spirit or does it depress you?
- Does your mindset empower or disempower you?
- Does it create anxiety?
- Does your mindset help you learn from your experiences or does it convince you that “you are not enough and that is why…”?
The exciting thing about the mindset is that it can be changed. You can challenge and replace your underlying assumptions about life. You don’t have to stay stuck where you are now.
In fact, the simple act of learning about your mindset can alleviate depression and anxiety.
When you take responsibility for your life, you can recover from trauma and stress and move past it. When you understand your mindset and challenge your thoughts, you liberate yourself from being controlled by what you think. You realize that your thoughts are just thoughts: they don’t determine what is, you do.
Obtain Healthy Mindsets at Alleviant
How your mindset affects your health is very important to your quality of life. At Alleviant, we want to ensure that you have the best quality of life possible. We specialize in helping people with their mental health so they can live their lives to the fullest. If you would like to learn more about how we can help you with your mental health, please give us a call at 501.904.4762 today.